To make sure your immune system performs well, you need to make sure that every part of your body is working in sync with the other parts of the body.
This can be ensured by making certain lifestyle changes to bolster our immune system to better fight off harmful pathogens and other diseases.
Here are 7 ways by which you can help boost your immune system naturally
- Eat or maintain a healthy diet:- Nutrients available from fresh vegetables, fruits, spices, etc helps to boost our immune system. Have these foods in healthy amounts in your regular diet.
- Keep stress under control:- Stress releases a hormone called cortisol. While during short bouts of stress cortisol prevents the immune system from reacting before the stressful event is over, however during prolonged stress the very same cortisol hormone can prevent your immune system from taking action against harmful bacteria or viruses when they enter your body, increasing your risk of getting affected by the pathogens.
- Get plenty of good quality sleep:- During sleep your body heals if you don’t have enough sleep your body will not be able to heal itself resulting in a weaker immune system.
- Exercise regularly:- Exercising regularly reduces the risk of chronic diseases. It also releases endorphin hormones that have the ability to reduce pain create a sensation of pleasure in our body which in turn helps to reduce stress. And low-stress levels help in boosting our immunity.
- Drink alcohol in moderation:- With high levels of alcohol consumption, your body is rather mostly occupied with detoxifying your system, than worry about the normal functioning of your immune system. Hence it weakens our body and slows down our body’s ability to recover quickly.
- Don’t smoke cigarettes:- Cigarette smoking releases harmful chemicals like cadmium, nicotine, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide. These chemicals harm the functioning of immune cells like cytokines, T cells, and B cells. Smoking also increases the risk of viral & bacterial infections.
- Keep chronic disease symptoms under control:- Chronic diseases like diabetes, asthma, etc have the tendency to increase the risk of infections. If your chronic conditions are under control the body is better able to fight off infections.
While considering the current COVID-19 pandemic situation it is not only important for us to stay home and follow safety protocols but also it is equally important for us to maintain our health & immune system even while we are inside our homes.
All the points mentioned above can help us better our immune system while staying indoors