1. What are Trigger Points?
Trigger points (TrPs) or muscle “knots” are sore spots in soft tissue that cause deep aching. Too many of them are often called myofascial pain syndrome (MPS), a chronic pain disorder.
Trigger points are discrete, focal, hyperirritable spots located in a taut band of skeletal muscle.
They produce pain locally and in a referred pattern and often accompany chronic musculoskeletal disorders.
2. What Causes Trigger points (TrPs)
· Injury sustained by a fall, by stress or birth trauma.
· Lack of exercise
· Bad posture
· Muscle overuse and respective micro-trauma – weightlifting,
· Chronic stress condition – anxiety, depression, psychological stress trauma,
· Vitamin deficiencies
· Sleep disturbance,
· Joint problems and hypermobility.